- GW Home
- Our Location
- Admissions & Aid
- GW Experience
- Faculty & Staff
Family & Medical Leave
Family and Medical Leave (FMLA) is unpaid leave that is available for employees who need leave due to a serious medical condition or to care for family members. The university complies with both the federal FMLA and the District of Columbia FMLA Acts, where applicable. FMLA provides eligible employees with job reinstatement and benefits continuation rights while on a qualifying leave of absence for:
- The birth, adoption or placement of a child for foster care
- The employee’s own serious health condition
- The care of a family member who has a serious health condition
The federal FMLA also permits eligible employees to take military family leave for:
- A qualifying exigency related to the fact that the employee’s spouse, child or parent is on or has been called to active duty
- The care of a covered servicemember or veteran with a serious injury or illness incurred in the line of active duty
FMLA leave can be requested to cover a continuous period of absence or you may take FMLA leave intermittently (taking leave in separate blocks of time for a single qualifying reason), or on a reduced work schedule (temporarily reducing your usual weekly or daily work schedule).
To qualify for family or medical leave under this policy, you must meet the following conditions:
- You must have worked at the university for a period totaling 12 months. Periods of employment prior to a break in service of less than seven years are allowed to count towards eligibility.
- Under the D.C. Act, you must have been paid for at least 1,000 hours during the 12 month period immediately preceding the beginning of your leave.
- Under the Federal Act, you must have worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12 month period immediately preceding the beginning of your leave.
If family or medical leave is covered under both the D.C. Family and Medical Leave Act and the federal Family and Medical Leave Act, FMLA leave will be granted under both Acts and will run concurrently.
Under the D.C. Family and Medical Leave Act eligible employees are permitted up to 16 workweeks of unpaid family leave and 16 workweeks of unpaid medical leave during a 24 month period.
Under the Federal Family and Medical Leave Act eligible employees are permitted up to a total of 12 workweeks of unpaid family and medical leave during a 12 month period or up to 26 workweeks during a single 12 month period for military caregiver leave. An eligible employee is limited to a combined total of 26 workweeks of leave for any federal FMLA-qualifying reason during the “single 12-month period.
How to Apply
If you need to apply for FMLA, please call The Standard at 1-855-554-2918 or apply online.
Please also view detailed instructions for Reporting Absences and Filing a Disability Claim (PDF).
- The Employee's Guide to the Family and Medical Leave Act (PDF)
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities under the FMLA (PDF)
- Federal Family and Medical Leave Act
- District of Columbia Family and Medical Leave Act
- District of Columbia Family and Medical Leave Act Poster (PDF)
- FMLA Checklist for HR Representatives and Supervisors (PDF)
- FMLA Checklist for Employees (PDF)
- FMLA Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)