- GW Home
- Our Location
- Admissions & Aid
- GW Experience
- Faculty & Staff
GW offers a choice of voluntary vision plans through UnitedHealthcare (UHC). The vision plans offer you the flexibility to see any provider you choose; however, you generally pay less when you use a UHC Vision provider (PDF).
In-network, covered-in-full benefits (after applicable copay) include a comprehensive exam, eye glasses with standard single vision, lined bifocal or lined trifocal lenses, standard scratch-resistant coating and the frame, or contact lenses in lieu of eye glasses.
Determine which coverage is right for you:
- Do I need additional coverage? The Vision Basic Plan vs. Medical Plan Vision Coverage (PDF) provides a comparison of what is offered through UHC Medical Plans with the voluntary vision plans offered to GW employees.
- Which voluntary vision plan should I select? There are two options available through UHC: Basic and Enhanced. A plan comparison chart (PDF), including contribution amounts, is available to help you in selecting the plan that is right for you.
Basic Vision Plan
The UHC Basic Vision plan includes a comprehensive eye examination, as well as eyeglasses (lenses and frame), or contact lenses, after applicable copays. The plan gives you benefits for both exam and materials, with the lowest potential out of pocket expense. UnitedHealthcare (UHC) Vision Benefits Summary (PDF) provides a two-page overview of coverage, copays and expected savings. The UnitedHealthcare Basic Vision Certificate of Coverage booklet provides an in-depth look at what your plan covers and how benefits are paid.
Enhanced Vision Plan
The UHC Enhanced Vision Plan includes a comprehensive eye examination, as well as eyeglasses (lenses and frame), or contact lenses, after applicable copays. The plan gives you benefits for both exam and materials, with the lowest potential out of pocket expense. In addition to what is offered through the Basic Plan, the Enhanced Vision Plan replaces frames every 12 months (vs 24 months with the Basic plan). It also covers the following additional lens options in full: Standard progressive lenses, standard anti-reflective coating, polycarbonate lenses, ultraviolet coating, glass coating, tints. The copay for Elective Contacts in Lieu of Eye Glasses (out of network) is also slightly lower with the Enhanced Plan. Finally, the Enhanced Plan provides the option of up to six boxes (instead of four) of disposable contacts. The UnitedHealthcare Enhanced Vision Certificate of Coverage Coverage booklet provides an in-depth look at what your plan covers and how benefits are paid.
Finding a provider is easy with the UHC online provider locator. UHC also provides a 24-hour, toll-free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system at 1-800-839-3242 to locate the nearest provider.
When scheduling your appointment, simply let the provider know that you are a UnitedHealthcare Vision member – there are no ID cards to worry about, but you do have the option to print an ID card if you prefer. You will then receive a complete eye examination and if prescription eyewear is necessary, you have a generous materials benefit for either eye-glasses or contacts.
Instructions for locating a UHC In-Network Vision Provider (PDF) can be downloaded for your reference.
- Out of Network Claim (PDF), will need to be completed for any out-of-network vision claim
- Vision Benefits Online Information, through United Healthcare (myuhc.com), to learn more about your vision benefits. This is also where you can go to print a vision proof of coverage card.
- Employee contributions and rates to determine monthly rates for vision plans offered by GW
- Helpful videos and member handbooks are available on the UHC website (for members) to learn more about your vision benefits and eye health
- A UHC flyer (PDF) on why vision is important for your health
- The Contact Lens Formulary List (PDF) provides a list of contact lens brands that are approved as part of the UHC Vision Insurance coverage
- UHC Certificate of Coverage (PDF) for Group Vision Care at GW sets forth the rights and obligations of those enrolled in a UHC Vision plan
- The UHC Vision Benefits Summary document provides coverage and rate information for both basic and enhanced plans.
- UHC Standard Vision Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) provides additional information on the difference between vision benefits offered through a standard UHC medical plan and optional vision plan. It also covers in-network providers and more.